2014 Longlist Announced
The Man Booker Prize has announced its longlist! I love this time. I have a fantasy that I’ll manage to read all of them before the winner is announced – I never quite manage it! ‘Hats off’ to the judges… I would love to stay in bed reading through.
It’s the first Man Booker Prize to admit novels from across the globe as long as they are written in English. The six judges chaired by philosopher Anthony Grayling have chosen 13 books by four Americans, six Britons, two Irish writers and one Australian.
And the longlist is…
- To Rise Again at a Decent Hour, Joshua Ferris (Viking)
- The Narrow Road to the Deep North, Richard Flanagan (Chatto & Windus)
- We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves, Karen Joy Fowler (Serpent’s Tail)
- The Blazing World, Siri Hustvedt (Sceptre)
- J, Howard Jacobson (Jonathan Cape)
- The Wake, Paul Kingsnorth (Unbound)
- The Bone Clocks, David Mitchell (Sceptre)
- The Lives of Others, Neel Mukherjee (Chatto & Windus)
- Us, David Nicholls (Hodder & Stoughton)
- The Dog, Joseph O’Neill (Fourth Estate)
- Orfeo, Richard Powers (Atlantic Books)
- How to be Both, Ali Smith (Hamish Hamilton)
- History of the Rain, Niall Williams (Bloomsbury)
Happy reading, Booker fiends!
You can find out more about the books and authors on the website: